French Apple Cake
- 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 c. plus 1 tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 3 tbsp. dark rum
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 medium sweet-tart apples (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored, and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° with a rack in the middle position; lightly coat an 8” round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until foamy.
- Add melted butter, 3/4 cup sugar, rum, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until evenly incorporated.
- Fold in apples, and transfer batter to prepared pan. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack to cool completely.